Sunday, February 8, 2009

First Day of Polyphasic Sleeping

I never knew that my roommate snores very loudly until tonight. All I can say is thank God for headphones! I started the polyphasic sleep cycle earlier today with 25 minute naps at 2pm, 6pm, 10pm, 2am and eventually 6am and 10am. The naps have been pretty difficult as it's hard to fall asleep when I'm not tired, but I'm sure by staying up all night tonight, it will be much easier tomorrow. It's currently around 4:30am and I feel very awake and alert, so I'm optimistic. The increase in the amount of time that I have to do work is amazing and I always have the sunset to look forward too. Yes, it is weird/slightly depressing that no one else in my entire dorm is awake right now, but I also like the idea of being the only one. Of being different. I originally got this idea from Steve Pavlina's blog in which he wrote about his one-year long experimentation with this sleep cycle. Steve reported higher mental clarity and even better mood after he had fully adjusted to the cycle (which only took 1-2 weeks). His accounts are spread among countless blog posts but here is the link to his original post about polyphasic sleep. I took a break during this post so it is now 5:50am and I have to take another nap soon. Good...morning?

1 comment:

  1. Hi - I'm jealous! I'm on day 5 of adaptation switching to Uberman (6x30min naps even 4 hours) and nighttimes are the hardest for me. During the day I'm just a bit blonde (that is, my logic, focus and coordination skills have gone out of the window), but at night it's a matter of splashing cold water on my face and exercising after my midnight and 4am naps to get my circulation up.
    I do hope that you keep updating this - I know it's been almost a month now, but it seems like you have so many plans and it'd be great to read about how you're doing. I'm doing the same at http://ashwing13polyphasic.blogspot.com

    So, if ever you need a polyphasic buddy to talk to, day or night (even if you decide not to stick to the schedule yourself) then feel free to contact me. No doubt I'll be awake =)

    Take care,
    Ashwing13

    ReplyDelete